December 17, 2012

Dying

Read this somewhere.... such a great reminder for those of us who have lost loved ones who are now with Jesus. I really love this image.


I am standing on the sea shore. 
A ship sails and spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean.
She is an object of beauty and I stand watching her, until at
last she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says:
"She is gone." 
Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all;
she is just as large in the masts, hull and spars as she was
when I saw her, and just as able to bear her load of living
freight to its destination.
The diminished size and total loss of sight is in me, not her;
and just at the moment when someone at my side says;
"She’s gone" there are others who are watching her coming,
and those other voices take up a gland shout,
"There she comes!"
 and that is dying.


Anyone know who wrote this?

3 comments:

Monica said...

Had to google it, but it was Henry Van Dyke.
My heart paused a second yesterday when I heard one of the boys who died was a twin. His parents had placed his sister in another classroom, and her class survived by hiding in a bathroom. Cannot imagine what the young siblings are dealing with right now.

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

My Googling says The Sailing Ship - Bishop Charles Henry Brent (1862-1929)

Lydia said...

I know Monica, I cried when I read that. There really is an extra connection with twins...that sweet girl is going to have a hard time of it. I'm praying that her family knows Jesus and that God comforts her and draws her to Him.

What We're Memorizing This Month

Romans 12:9-21
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.