January 9, 2013

Books I read in 2012

It's that time! Time to let my blog readers know what my favorite reads of the past year were. I read over 50 books in 2012. There a several that I will definitely re-read, the kind of books I want to keep copies of, good books that I can share and recommend to friends. Here are my favorite reads of 2012 (in no particular order):

Finding Your Child's Way on the Autism Spectrum
Laura Hendrickson




This book was written by a mother of an autistic child (she has real experience!). This woman is also a clinical psychologist (so she has medical knowledge) and she is also a NANC counselor (biblical knowledge). The fact that this woman has TRIPLE knowledge of autism (experience, Bible, and medical) really appealed to me. It is a very well written book that offers encouragement and advice to moms like me without sounding arrogant or like the author has it all together. She is honest about all the ways she struggled as her son was growing up. There is hope! I'd highly recommend this book for ALL parents and grandparents of children with autism who want to give their child the best education and life experiences while preparing them for the kingdom of God.

By the Light of a Thousand Stars 
Jamie Langston Turner


I know, I know. I've mentioned this author before. But I love her. Heart-wrenching books. Make me cry every time. We read this for book club and had a wonderful discussion. The main theme of this book is ACTION even when you don't FEEL. Living in a loving manner when you don't feel love is difficult! All of Turner's characters are REAL people, flawed and imperfect. Just like me. God's grace is sufficient! Good stuff in her books.


Heaven is for Real
Todd Burpo


Ok, so I didn't LOVE this book. I didn't even agree with it. However, it made me think. It made me think a lot. I thought about the power of prayer. I thought about heaven. I read everything mentioned in the Bible about heaven after I finished this book. I drove my husband crazy on a long trip from New York with comments and questions as I was reading this book. Any book that makes me think a lot and drives me to God's Word for answers is a book I can be ok with reading, even if I think it's unreal or untrue. So, this book deserves a mention in this post.

And the Shofar Blew
Francine Rivers


Wow. This was such a good book, very thought provoking. Our book club had an amazing discussion after reading this. This book focusing on the temptations within the church that church leadership deal with. The temptation to be bigger, more powerful, with more programs, and have more money are all things that churches everywhere deal with. This book really brings to light the need for checks and balances and humble people within the church leadership. Very good and I highly recommend!

Midnight is a Place
Joan Aiken


I do read children's books throughout the year. I've loved Joan Aiken since I first read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase in elementary school. That whole series is so good and I highly recommend it as a read-aloud series for your family. This book is a great rags-to-riches story in the tradition of Charles Dickens. Loved it! After reading it, I was immediately driven to research factories and sewer "diving" in England's history. I love English history. 

Competent to Counsel
Jay Adams


I was required to read this for my NANC certification. I've read it through twice now. It's very good, and easy to read. This book is so informative and clearly explains what is wrong with today's secular counseling and psychology methods. It also encourages the reader to go to the Bible for God's answers to all of life's problems. A good introduction to counseling.

Shadowfell
Juliet Marillier


Juliet Marillier has long been one of my favorite fantasy authors. I think I've mentioned Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Song on this blog before. This book is just as good and perhaps more thought provoking than her other young adult books. 

Those were my favorite reads of 2012. I've already started on my book list for 2013, have you?
What did you read that you LOVED or HATED in 2012? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Milena said...

Oh! I remember reading Midnight is a place when I was a child! It is out of print here, since a long time, so I can't read it again. But I remember that I really enjoyed that book!

What We're Memorizing This Month

Romans 12:9-21
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.